Attract More Business with a New Growth Platform
June 4, 2015
When a convenience retailer has a good handle on how to deliver the basics and is comfortable defending their turf, it is ready to attract more business. By deploying a new growth platform that reaches beyond shoppers’ grab and go needs, operators give customers an additional reason to visit. Such an effort could tap into consumers’ desire for food and beverages that are “a little better for you” or to take a short break during a hectic day.
The new “Get in the Game” report from the NACS / CCRRC reveals how three leading convenience retailers launched new growth platforms and achieved positive results.
• Two retailers moved to what the Council calls “the fresh value fast” platform, offering a new line of fresh food that gave shoppers the option to buy a salad, yogurt or “better for you” snack in addition to other foodservice offerings. These operators:
• Extended their stores’ appeal and sold new products with the help of new partners.
• Remerchandised their outlets to showcase the new product line.
• Increased net sales due to the new product line, appealing to new and existing customers.
• The other retailer highlighted female-friendly products already in the store, and made the entrance and in-store environment more inviting to women. These changes drove a significant increase in sales of select products without interfering with the operator’s ability to meet the needs of its traditional shoppers.
While some convenience retailers have shared with me their concern that the female-friendly growth platform may be hard to implement, this case study demonstrates it can be worth the effort. Want more inspiration? Get a complimentary copy of the “Get in the Game” report at www.ccrrc.org.
NACS/Coca‑Cola Retailing Research Council
Founder, Willard Bishop LLC and Chief Architect BrickMeetsClick